Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wasatch Back

I am lucky enough to have today off, and as I cuddle up with my cat and hide from the cold under layers of blankets I find I have no motivation to work out, to make my body move. I have to laugh at my current location and the fact that I am about to post about the Wasatch Back and how we really want to do it this summer. After you read the main part of this post, please tell me, Have I lost my mind???

June 19th-20th
180 miles divided between 12 runners, the run is broken up into levels of difficulty so anyone from the novice(that's me!) to the most expert of runners can be on the same team and enjoy the difficulties and beauty of this run. Our team would be considered "Open Mixed" (meaning we have at least one runner under 30 and we need 6 or more females)

Since I am not sure who would in fact want to join in on this adventure I decided I would blog about it and give all details on here. That way it is open for all to see and all to comment!

This is what we need:
12 runners, at least 6 have to be female and it costs about $85 a person
3 volunteers to help along the trek, the Wasatch back committee will be giving out the assignments to these people
2 van drivers to get our team around, cheer on the runners, and support the team (might be able to use team members for this)

This is from the website explaining "how it works"
"It's really quite simple. Get a bunch of friends together (or we can help you find team members who'll quickly become your friends) and start running. Okay, there's a little more to it. Your relay team will consist of 12 members. During the relay, each team member runs three legs, each leg ranging between 3 - 8 miles and varying in difficulty. So, from the elite runner down to the novice jogger, it's the perfect relay race for anyone.
Each team is responsible for providing two support vehicles, with six runners in each vehicle. The first vehicle will drop off the first runner, drive ahead a few miles, cheer the runner on, and provide them with water, snacks, and plenty of love. That vehicle will then drive ahead to the first exchange point to drop off the second runner, and pick up the first runner when that leg is complete. They will repeat this pattern for six legs until they hand off to their second vehicle. This leapfrogging pattern will continue all the way to the finish line. "

If anyone is interested let me know! We need to register soon but before I pay I would like an idea if it is at all possible to get a team going this year.

It also says for the novice runner training should start next Monday, so uh...if i wanna make it according to them, I gotta get my body movin!!!

2 comments:

Glenna and Bob said...

I will be a driver....Great goal to go after...hope you find some takers. Mom

Tara said...

You are welcome to crash at our house as you run by! We will be there to see you run--you should ask Chris to join you . . . he might be a novice too.